The SEEING ONESELF® provides a validated / evidence-based approach to use when deciding what course of action to take in addressing a youth and the impact of substance use, such as the adverse health effects of alcohol and other drugs. This program is intended to assist educators, youth justice workers, addiction counselors, front-line officers or those assigned to youth, such as School Resource Officers.
By collecting information and guiding youth in a supportive and informed way, a counselor, officer or outreach worker becomes more aware of a youth’s circumstances and the risk factors that may be fueling his or her propensity towards substance use. Targeted interactive sessions address unique reasons for substance use that can place a young person at risk for health problems.
“It was a great pleasure working with such an amazing group!!! Wishing you much success with the SEEING ONESELF® program and in promoting positive lifestyle choices for tomorrow’s leaders.”
Dynamic sessions have been developed with teachings of Aboriginal Elders who helped build the cultural foundation of these Canadian resources by using a holistic approach to health and human personality. This dynamic process is designed to encourage youth to believe in themselves, realize what is important to them and what they want, and bring what is important to them into their long-term goals. Check out session titles below.
Information gathered through the SEEING ONESELF® program serves several purposes including but not limited to:
- Identifies youth who would benefit most from the approach through identification of the dimensions where programming and support services can best be targeted for youth as individuals
- Screens out no-risk or low-risk youth from others at greater risk so as to maximize level of support
- Identifies networks for community capacity building
- Ensures a standard of care in flexible delivery procedures by a wide range of youth service providers
- Ensures a greater awareness among youth and youth service providers of risk and protective factors as well as goal oriented competencies
- Affords more opportunity for youth support in strategic policy and planning